MuseScore to the web

Thomas Bonte
Administrator
Half a year ago, a forum was opened on musescore.org where people could show their score made with MuseScore. A various amount of scores where posted, from lead sheets to full orchestral scores. When scanning through the list, I would say half of them are transcriptions, the other half are compositions. Also a large set of templates where made and shared on the forum. Unfortunately, all that work is somewhat hidden in the forum and not easy to find. What's more, I think there is much more to be shared such as music lesson assignments or tutorials.

When looking at other music notation software, mainly the commercial ones, they all have a dedicated website for their users to share their work. Uploading it to the web is as easy as clicking on a menu item in the software and it's ready to share with your friends, family, students, ... Often these websites let you discover new scores by browsing through the recently added items, nicely separated based on genre, score format and more. Unfortunately, MuseScore has no such website yet and it's about time to change this.

Together with lasconic and werner, we started the development of this website which will eventually be hosted on musescore.com. You could call it a sister website for musescore.org, similar to the relationship between wordpress.org and wordpress.com. While we consider this website to be in early alpha stage, we do think it's good enough to invite some people who would like to test it and give some feedback. So if you are interested, send a message to thomas.bonte/at\gmail.

Re: MuseScore to the web

Maurizio M. Gavioli
Great idea!

A few comments:

1) Making the score uploadable directly from the software would be
very nice. However, if it is TOO simple, I'm afraid this would
increase the noise/signal ratio (the "Look Mum! Without hands!" department).

2) Proper score filing by author, period, instruments, style, etc
would be very useful, but raises the issue of controlled thesauri
(Chaikosky / Tschaikowsky / -kij, string quartet / quartetto d'archi,
violin / vn., etc, not to mention titles!). IMSLP, for instance,
tries hard to make things consistent and homogenous and still a good
deal of items are 'out of order' and sometime difficult to locate.
This point is probably marginal while contributions are few, but may
quickly go out of control.

3) Copyright issues: it is possible to argue that if one takes the
trouble to re-enter the whole Beethoven's 5h Symphony (I can't
imagine how misterdls managed to do it!), the amount of effort may
qualify the result as original or 'original enough', but I'm sure the
publisher of the score used as a source would have something to say
and the last thing we all want is to drag MuseScore into a legal 'can
of worms'!

Unfortunately I do not have any answer for any of these points, but I
though them worth mentioning.

In the mean time, I volunteer for any alpha- / beta-testing needed.

Ciao,

         M.

At 13:52 01-04-10, Thomas Bonte wrote:
>Together with  http://musescore.org/user/4 lasconic  and
>http://musescore.org/user/3 werner , we started the development of this
>website which will eventually be hosted on musescore.com...

Re: MuseScore to the web

Thomas Bonte
Administrator
Hi Miwarre,

Thanks for your input.

1) Indeed, direct upload from the software (plugin based) is the solution we are working on.

2) Instead of fixing spelling mistakes, we would like to implement a solution on the level of the search engine. We'll use a combination of techniques such as stemming and a 'did you mean' spelling corrector.

3) musescore.com will run under the DCMA law, which is a standard way for internet service providers to handle copyright issues.

Re: MuseScore to the web

Maurizio M. Gavioli
At 09:00 06-04-10, Thomas Bonte wrote:
>2) Instead of fixing spelling mistakes, we would like to implement a
>solution on the level of the search engine. We'll use a combination of
>techniques such as  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemming stemming  and a
>'did you mean' spelling corrector.

The point is less about spelling mistakes than it is about multiple
(and, in a way or another, legitimate) ways to name the same 'thing'.
Take for instance (and please believe me, I'm not pointing fingers!)
one of the scores posted in the forum under the title "Mozart No.
40"; no part is wrong in this title, but the title is obviously off
the mark and would make the score almost impossible to recognize /
retrieve / etc. in any list of decent length. Also, another posting
of the same work (or a derivation from it) would probably go under a
different and largely unrelated title.

Librarians and cataloguers are facing this problem since long and the
best solution they arrived at are controlled thesauri. They are a
pain in the neck to assemble, but I would expect they can possibly be
downloaded from authoritative sources (LC?).

(And incidentally, I'm unimpressed by stemming techniques...)

>3) musescore.com will run under the  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA DCMA
>law, which is a standard way for internet service providers to handle
>copyright issues.

I am not knowledgeable enough in this matter (which, to my mind, is
an insane mess anyway) so I'll trust the decision of the experts. As
I've read many criticisms to the DMCA, I am curious if any
alternative to it has been taken into consideration.

Thanks,

         M.

Re: MuseScore to the web

rogerdpack
This looks really nice, and I like the social aspect (kind of reminds me of github, where if you like something but want to make changes, you click on "fork" and get your own editable copy, but in your namespace).  Something like that might be nice.

Also the player looks quite nice.  Was it built in house? Is the source available?  Even for purchase?

Also I hope that there's some type of API for people to use to post (say, from other sites), or what not.
Cheers!
-r

Re: MuseScore to the web

Thomas Bonte
Administrator
Hi roger,

Funny you mention GitHub. We have been brainstorming how the github/fork concept can be used for a sheet music repository. Currently, we have decided to keep things simple and not specialize yet to specific use cases.

The player is made in house using Flex. We will replace it for HTML/JS/CSS based solution which should make the scores (dis)playable on any platform & device. It's not open source yet, but we are strongly considering it as soon as our API is stable enough. The API documented at https://github.com/musescore-com

Re: MuseScore to the web

rogerdpack
Cool.  I'll keep watching for its source (even open sourcing the flex part would help me).
Thanks!
-r